We have some interesting updates in the workflow reports!
Setting up automation using workflows saves a substantial amount of time in various business activities. Additionally, to monitor the performance of each workflow rules, we provide workflow reports. These reports display insights on the number of records that underwent the automatic action, gives statistics for each action like number of emails that bounced or number of records that failed a field update, successful execution of functions etc. This helps to understand the efficiency of a rule and rectify issues that may hinder an action from taking place.
To see the list of failed actions and retry the automation for those failures, significantly reduces the manual work, and we are delighted to offer the options.
Let's see them in detail.
View the failed actions on the Failed insights page
Earlier, the workflow report would show whether a particular action was successfully executed or not. Now, we are providing further insights on failed actions. The failed insights page lists the actions that failed to execute. And by clicking on the count, you can view emails that bounced, webhooks, etc., that failed.
For example, if there are 3 bounced email notifications for a particular workflow rule, by clicking on the failed count, a list view will display the actions which failed, with reasons for its failure and its associated records, so that admins can rectify the cause of the failure in the record and retry them.
These failed actions of records are listed to retry for only 7 days since the failure.
Detailed report of a failed action
Workflow actions can sometimes fail due to input errors or technical glitch. To know more details about the failed actions and act upon them, further insights are provided.
- Record name
- Failed email or failed function, and failed webhooks
- Reason for failure
- Option to manually retry the failed actions
- Number of retries performed
- Date and time on which the action failed initially
- Record details such as phone number, email address etc.
P.S.: The Failure insights are displayed for all failed actions. However, the retry action is only supported for email notifications, webhooks, and custom functions.
Retrying the workflow action
Once the failed actions are known and the cause for the failure is rectified, you can retry the action. Retry can be performed for individual actions or for multiple failed actions.
While retrying, we provide the following options:
- Retry with previous or new values: In case, certain values have been modified in the record then you can retry with old or new values. For example, the email can be sent to the new email address or the old one.
- Perform Workflow condition check before retrying: Once the value preference is selected, an option to perform the workflow rule on the action is provided. If the option yes is selected, then the workflow condition will be checked again before retrying and will proceed with retrying only if the condition is met. If the option No is selected, the retry action will proceed without re-checking the workflow rule.
- Exclude actions from retrying: There is an option to exclude retry on failed actions. For example, if Bob Brown has unsubscribed, then while performing bulk retry, the relevant actions of record can be excluded or if you have followed up on a lead personally, after the record action failure, then you can exclude the record action from retry to avoid sending an old campaign to the lead. The exclusion will prevent other users in the organization from retrying the action on that record in the future. While excluding, the reason for exclusion must be mentioned.
- Include the excluded actions: If you have excluded an action by mistake or if the lead has subscribed again, you can include the previously excluded action to retry.
Who can perform the retry action?
CRM admins or users with Manage Automations permission can retry failures. For those users, who do not have the access to a module, will not be able to see the records, but can view failure insights like failure reason, failure time, and retry count.
- The retry action limit is capped up to 5 retries, exceeding which, the actions will be locked from further retries.
- The retry option will be available only for Enterprise and Ultimate editions.
UI enhancement in Workflow Rules
Along with the update to workflow reports, we are modifying the sequence in which the rules and reports are accessed.
Earlier, If any of the configured workflow rules is opened, the configuration appears first and to view the usage report, the user has to click the view usage option from the bottom right. Also, the options like Clone, Deactivate, and Delete were all options under the ellipses.
Now, in this update, we have changed the flow such a way that when a user clicks on a configured rule, the workflow reports (The Workflow usage reports is renamed as workflow reports) appears first with the insights and statistics. This enables the users to evaluate the rules' performance first, check on the failed metrics and then view/ edit the rules by clicking on the View Configuration button. In the rule configuration page, options like Clone and Delete remain to be under the ellipses on the right side of the page, while the deactivate option is designated a button outside the ellipses.
That's all about the workflow update. For more details kindly refer to the help doc.
Thank you and have a good one!