The External User feature lets your team work together with users outside your organization like investors, consultants, and contract employees who do not share the same company domain as yours. These people can be added as external users to one or more groups in your Zoho Connect network and will have limited access to your network based on the policies set by the network admin.
For example, a project consultant whom your team is working with can be added as an external user and given access only to groups, boards, related to the project. This way, it is easier for your team to collaborate with the consultant while still keeping the rest of your network hidden.
The External User feature is available only for internal networks.
Who are external users?
Anyone outside of your network whom you collaborate with can be added as an external user. In the People Directory, these users are listed under the External Users tab, and their profile is visible to all the network members.
External Users have access only to groups that they are added to and they have access to all the apps enabled in the Network, except for channels.
External users need to have a Zoho account in order to be added to a network. If an user does not have a Zoho account, the user will be prompted to create one while accepting the invite.
Who can add external users to a network?
Only the network admins can add external users.
to know how to add users to your Network.
What are the apps external users have access to?
- External users have access to all the apps enabled in the Network, except for channels.
- If allowed, external users can access network wall and forums.
- If allowed, external users can contact other members in the network.
- External users can access the chat-bar at the bottom and can participate in one-on-one chats once both the members and the external users have invited and accepted each other as contacts.
External users cannot:
- Create a new Group, Board, Town Hall, Survey, and Manual.
- Be an admin in a Group/Board/Manual.
- Access Channels.
How to manage the permissions for External Users?
The network admins can control what apps within the Network the external users can access from the Policies page. To do this, click the gear icon in the right pane > Settings > Network Settings > Policies.
In case you can view both, the option to add Guests and External Users, please read this article
to learn more.