Custom buttons can be placed in the following places in your CRM account:
To create a custom button
- Log in to Zoho CRM with administrative privileges.
- Go to Setup > Customization > Modules and Fields.
- From the List of Modules , select the required module.
- In the Links & Buttons tab, click Create New Button .
Create Your Button page, do the following:
Enter the name of the button.
The button name should not exceed 30 characters.
Add Description link and specify the details of your custom button.
The description should not exceed 250 characters.
Choose the location of your custom button from the drop-down list.
Choose an action to be executed when a user clicks the custom button.
You can either choose a predefined action from the gallery or an existing action that was already created by users in your organization. Also define your own action by writing a custom function, open a new web tab or invoke a URL based on your needs.
In case you wish to obtain location information of the users executing this Button, you can turn the location preference toggle ON.
- Click Save.
Once the custom button is associated with an action, CRM Administrators can manage permissions by assigning only specific profiles to view and access the custom button.
Fetching Location Information Via Custom Buttons
While creating a custom button, along with the actions specified via the function, you can also fetch the location information of the user executing this button.
This is especially useful for organizations that require sales reps to make field visits on a regular basis.
For instance, consider the example of Zylker Electronics that deals in the sale of electronic appliances. They use CRM to maintain sales and after-sales data of their customers. Whenever they receive a post-sale inspection request, they want the field agent to visit the client's location, survey the damages sustained to the appliance and make a note of the same via the Notes feature. To make the Notes more accessible, they have created a custom button called
Send Notes and have placed this on the detail view page for every contact.
When a field agent pushes this button, the updated Notes will be sent as an email to their managers.
Now, along with the updated notes, they can also obtain information about the location where this button was executed. This location information will be useful for various needs such as computing rewards for the agents based on the number of field visits made to
handling customer tickets and disputes.
That said, it is understandable if users of the button have privacy concerns. Once this button is enabled, whenever an agent pushes this button on the mobile app, a consent popup will open, requesting the user's permission to share location information. They can proceed to execute the button by allowing or denying this request.
If they do not wish to share location information, they can just execute the button without sharing location details, as such.
- This consent popup will appear on both iOS and Android apps of Zoho CRM.
- If the mobile app user hasn't enabled location services on their phone, Zoho CRM will first prompt them to turn on location services on their device and then subsequently request consent for tracking their location via the custom button.
- This consent popup is designed to appear only for the mobile application of Zoho CRM and not the web version.
- The Location option will be shown only for "Functions"(ie., From Gallery, From Existing Actions, Writing functions) in Custom button.
- Location option is not supported for "Custom Actions".
- Location option will be shown for Create/Clone Page, Edit Page, View Page and Related List and is not supported for list view options and Wizards.