Email marketing is one of the most widely followed methods to engage new and existing prospects. Zoho Campaigns is a platform that allows you to create, send, and track your email campaigns. By integrating it with Zoho CRM, you can easily create a mailing list containing all the leads or contacts you want to send campaigns to.
Zoho Campaigns is not to be confused with CRM's native Campaigns module. Zoho Campaigns is an email marketing application from Zoho. There is a module called Campaigns in Zoho CRM which will help you plan any marketing campaign for your business, not just email campaigns.
You can also track the responses to emails sent via Zoho Campaigns in CRM's in-built Campaigns module.
Setting up Integration between Zoho Campaigns and CRM
Zoho Campaign's integration with Zoho CRM enables you to nurture your leads and contacts through well-planned email campaigns by synchronizing leads and contacts between Zoho CRM and Zoho Campaigns.
The integration offers various options to stay in touch with your prospects/customers about your brand through newsletters, welcome emails, surveys, and transactional emails. It also enables you to make better decisions by tracking their email responses. For example, you have better chances with a prospect who clicks on an email than one who has marked the email as spam.
Note: This integration is available for all editions and allows organizations to send campaigns from the Zoho Campaigns platform.
Setting up the integration involves the following steps:
Creating a new sync
Go to Zoho Campaigns settings page via the following route: Settings > Marketplace > Zoho > Zoho Campaigns > Manage.
Click Sync Now.
You will be redirected to the Zoho Campaigns page to sync.
The first page will be Set up Sync. On this page, do the following:
Select module: Select the module in Zoho CRM for the sync. All records from the selected module will be synced with Zoho Campaigns.
Sync to Lists: In this optional step, you can sync any mailing lists you have in Zoho Campaigns, or create a new list.
Subscription Type: Select whether the subscription is Marketing or Non-marketing.
For the Marketing subscription type, you can choose topics from the list available in the Choose Topics field.
Update empty field value: Toggle this option to remove values of mapped fields in Campaigns when the respective values are erased in Zoho CRM.
After providing the required values, click Next to go to the Map Fields page.
On the Map Fields page, map the CRM fields with those of Zoho Campaigns.
After the field mapping is complete, click Initiate.
Note: Sync is available for the Leads, Contacts and Custom modules (the modules must have an Email field).
Once the sync is completed, the values of the mapped CRM fields are transferred to the Zoho Campaign fields. The user can customize the field mapping.
Fields that cannot be mapped:
- Modified By
- Created By
- Modified Time
- Lookup and multi-user lookup
- Profile/record image
- File upload
- Image upload
If a field is created in a module during field mapping, then this field will be seen only in those records that are created after the sync is enabled. For existing contacts that are synced from CRM, this field will appear ONLY if you re-initiate the sync. For example, if you added a field called Customer response during field mapping, the field will not appear in the records that were synced earlier. You must re-initiate the sync in order to update the field Customer response for those records.
Creating Zoho Campaigns from CRM
You can create and send a Zoho Campaign from the Campaigns module in CRM without having to create a sync. For example, you have a mailing list which contains the email addresses of all the prospects you met at a trade show. You might want to send a welcome email to only a few prospects who have been added recently. You can add those prospects as recipients in the Campaigns module and send them the welcome email instead of having to sync them first.
Note: Creating campaigns from Zoho CRM is only available for the Enterprise edition and above.
To create a campaign
- Log in to your CRM account and go to the Campaigns module.
- Click the + icon in the list view and select Zoho Campaigns from the dropdown list.
- Enter the following details in the Create Campaign page:
- Zoho Campaign Details
- Campaign Information
- Click Save.
New Zoho Campaign users will see a pop-up prompting them to enter their company details. These details will be updated in the footer section of the Zoho Campaigns email.
Campaigns detail page
Once the campaign is created, you can view and track its progress in the What's Next section, which will show you the current and the next stages. You will also be able to see the summary and other details you entered while creating the campaign.
Sending campaigns from Zoho CRM
You can send campaigns to leads or contacts from your CRM account. The What's Next section of the details page will show you the steps that need to be completed in order to send a campaign. You can easily navigate through the process by clicking on each step in this section.
The following five steps are required to send campaigns from Zoho CRM:
- Choose or create a template for the campaign: Zoho Campaign provides a variety of templates. You can choose a pre-designed template or a basic template or, if you have already created templates, you can search for them in My Templates or Recently Sent. You can also create a new template using the HTML code editor or plain text editor.
- Add recipients: Select the leads or contacts you want to send the campaign to. You can select 400,000 recipients in total (200,000 per module). If the recipient list is in CRM or if you need to add recipients in bulk, you can also import them.
Associate list and topic:
Associate a mailing list to sync the recipients with. You can also create a new mailing list from the pop-up.
Choose a topic to associate with the campaign. This will help users avoid campaigns from certain topics of least interest.
Lawful basis for communication: If you have enabled GDPR in Campaigns, you'll have this additional field to update in the pop-up. Choose from the list of given communication bases in compliance with the GDPR norms.
Send for review: Once the recipients are associated with the mailing list, the campaign can be sent for review.
When the campaign is sent for review, the recipients will be synced to the mailing list and you will not be able to change the mailing list or add or remove recipients. The time the sync takes to complete will depend on the number of recipients.
Before you send the campaign for review, you will be prompted to select whether the existing users in the selected mailing list should receive the campaign. The system will check that there is no spam content and that the sender's address is on a private domain (e.g., @yourcompany.com), not a public one (e.g., @gmail.com).
The following details will be available:
How many users from CRM (Leads or Contacts) or Campaign are in the recipients list.
The number of contacts present in the list that have conflicts in the particular topic and will not receive the campaign.
The number of contacts to whom the campaign will be sent and the default topic that is associated.
The total number of eligible recipients.
- The system will check that there is no spam content and that the sender's address is on a private domain (e.g., @yourcompany.com), not a public one (e.g., @gmail.com). During the review, you will be prompted to map the fields in the campaign template with the CRM fields in the Leads and Contacts modules. This will only take place if the fields were not already mapped during the integration.
- You can send a test email to yourself to check the campaign before sending it to the recipients.
- You may have to use the refresh icon for the What's Next component to see the status.
Send campaign: You can send a campaign to the recipients once the review is complete. If some recipients are skipped during the sync, a warning icon will appear below the Send Campaign icon. Click the icon to see the reason the recipients were skipped and the number of records that were skipped.
Users can check details, such as the reason for skipping — Topic Conflicts, Invalid Email Address, Email Opt-out Contacts, etc. and the number of skipped recipients for each reason. Upon expanding topic conflicts, they can get detailed categorization of the particular topics and the respective count of recipients skipped.
- If the campaign is sent successfully then the status will be updated to Sent.
- If the campaign could not be sent then the status will be updated to Cancelled or Stopped. Click view details to see the reason and an option to contact Campaigns support. They may also be cancelled if a video in the template is deleted from the website where the campaign is hosted.
To send campaigns from CRM
- Click Choose template in the What's Next section of the campaign's details page. You will be redirected to Zoho Campaigns.
- Select one of the categories from the Choose Template dropdown list:
- Pre-designed templates
- Basic templates
- Saved templates
- Recently sent templates
- You can also create email content using the plain text editor or HTML code editor.
- Select a template and click Choose.
- Click Preview and test or Save Changes.
Click Save and Next.
Note: Use the edit/delete icon to edit or delete the email content before sending the campaign. Editing the template after it has been sent for review will move the campaign to draft and you must send it for review again.
- Click Add recipient in the What's Next section of the campaign's details page.
- Select the recipients from the Leads or Contacts module. You can also add new leads or contacts or import recipients in bulk by clicking on Import recipients.
- Click Next.
- Select the Campaign Member Status from the dropdown list.
- Click Save.
- Click Associate List & Topic in the What's Next section of the campaign's details page.
- Click Select Existing list or Create a new list in the Associate List & Topic pop-up and do either of the following:
Choose an existing list from the dropdown, or
Enter the name and message for the subscribers in the Create New List box.
- Select a topic from the dropdown list of options in Choose a topic you would like to associate with this campaign.
Select the Lawful Basis for Communication from the list of available options.
- Click Send for Review in the What's Next section of the campaign's details page.
- Select the Send Campaign to the existing members of this list too checkbox in the Send for Review pop-up if you want to send the campaign to the existing members of the list and not just the new recipients.
- Click Yes, Proceed.
- Map the fields from the template to the fields in CRM module.
After the fields are mapped, the campaign will be sent for review and the status will be updated to Syncing Recipients.
Once the sync is completed, the status will be updated as To be reviewed.
Note: The Send Test Email option allows you to send a test email to up to five email addresses at once to check the content before sending it to the recipients.
- Click Send Campaign in the What's Next section of the campaign's details page
Track Campaign Responses
You can send Email Campaigns and Autoresponders (used for Drip Marketing) to contacts and leads by syncing it from Zoho CRM to Zoho Campaigns. After executing email campaign, you can easily track different types of responses within Zoho CRM's Campaigns module. You can drill-down the campaign members and view the status of the sent email campaigns. In addition, you can view detailed stats of email campaign without logging into Zoho Campaigns. In the Campaigns Home page, you will be able to see the list of all the campaigns. The column named Campaign Type indicates whether the campaign was created in Zoho CRM or Zoho Campaigns.
To view Zoho Campaigns/Auto-responders created/synced in Zoho CRM
- In Zoho CRM, click the Campaigns tab.
- Open a recently completed campaign of the type Zoho Campaign.
Alternately, click the icon next to Zoho Campaigns for a quick view.
Campaign summary and recipient activity
Once the campaign is sent, you can view the campaign summary and recipient activity in CRM. Here you can see the number of:
- Emails that were delivered successfully.
- Emails that were hard bounced or soft bounced.
- Recipients who opened and recipients who didn't open the emails.
- Emails that were clicked.
- Complaints received from the recipients.
- Recipients who unsubscribed from the email.
The Summary section includes the important campaign details like Subject, Sender details, etc., along with the campaign response stats.
Hard bounce—A hard bounce indicates that there is a permanent delivery failure which could be due to the following reasons:
- The recipient's email address does not exist.
- Domain name does not exist.
- Typos in the email address invalid. (For example, gnail.com instead of gmail.com)
- The Recipient's email server has blocked delivery.
- The email address is inactive or expired.
Soft bounce— A soft bounce is just a temporary delivery failure that may be due to the following reasons:
- Recipient's inbox is full
- Technical issues in the receiving email server
- Recipient Activity: It shows the list of recipients who have clicked, unsubscribed, opened, marked the campaign as spam etc. You can choose the KPI to filter and view the respective list of recipients based on their activity. You can also filter and view just the Leads or Contacts for each response type from the drop-down on the right side.
Filter Records based on the campaign performance
You can filter the Leads or Contacts based on their response to a certain campaign. You can use member and service status to check whether they are invited or if the campaign is marked as planned. Similarly, you can use the service status to check if an email campaign is delivered, hard bounced, soft bounced, replied etc.
To filter leads or contacts
- In Campaigns module, go to the Leads or Contacts related list.
- Click the filter icon
- Select a field under Member and/or Service Status.
- Click Apply.
Records that satisfy the criteria will be displayed.
Deactivating Zoho Campaigns integration with CRM
Once you deactivate the Zoho Campaign integration:
- All campaigns in the Zoho Campaigns layout will be converted into offline campaigns in the standard layout.
- Synchronized data will no longer be available in the offline campaigns.
- Any unsent campaigns will only be available to send from Zoho Campaigns.
Disabling Zoho Campaigns integration
Once you disable the Zoho Campaign integration:
- All campaigns in CRM will be unlinked from Zoho Campaigns.
- You will no longer be able to sync live data with past or active campaigns.
- All syncs will be permanently deleted.