In DataPrep, you can import various file types, including CSV, TSV, JSON, HTML, XLS, XLSX and XML.
Note: DataPrep also supports files without any extension or files in plain text format. However, binary files cannot be parsed during import; users will have to manually parse the file into one of the supported formats listed above.
To import a local file
1. Create a workspace and add a dataset, or open an existing workspace.
2. Click Files from the Choose a data source box.
To see how to create a workspace and add a dataset, click here.
2. Drag and drop your files into the upload box or click on it to browse for your files.
Note: In the case of Zip files, only one file is supported. Make sure you have only one file compressed or zipped within the .Zip file.
3. The files added will be shown along with their file size. You have the option to add more files or remove the existing ones.
Note: In the case of HTML files, data selection for import depends on the order in which the tables exist within the HTML page.
4. Click Upload once you have all your files. The upload progress will be shown.
5. If the files are HTML, XLS, XLSX or password protected files the user can enter the password and preview the files before clicking the Import button to complete the import.
6. Once all files are successfully imported, it will take you to the Operations page where you can prepare data.
1. Each file is created as a separate dataset inside your workspace.
2. If the file is password-protected, DataPrep will prompt you to enter the password to open the file. This password will not be saved and is only used for opening the password-protected file.
3. If you upload excel files, DataPrep offers an option to select individual sheets in the file for import. You can also preview the sheets before choosing to import them.