Customer support is the cornerstone of every organization. Businesses mostly rely on help desk software that simplifies ticket management, streamlines support processes, and improves overall customer satisfaction.
As businesses expand, the requirements evolve, and you tend to look for a more robust system that grows alongside your expectations. When you move to other software, it's important to migrate the existing data to avoid losing crucial data about customers, tickets, agents, and knowledge base resources.
Zoho Desk is cloud-based software that allows easy migration of data from other help desk software. It also boasts a wide range of features that help teams work more efficiently and effectively towards providing better support experience.
Data can be migrated to Zoho Desk securely from the following services:
- Other services
- Data migration is supported in all the paid editions
- Data can only be migrated from the standard modules
Exporting data from existing accounts
Before migrating to Zoho Desk you must ensure that data from your existing account is exported in the supported format. The list below provides the format supported for different services:
- Freshdesk - XML
- Zendesk- JSON
- Salesforce - CSV (cases and solutions will also be migrated)
- Kayako - SQL
- Intercom - CSV
- HappyFox - (data can be fetched via API calls, attachments as zip file)
- Helpscout - (data can be fetched via API calls)
Services other than the ones mentioned above can export their data in any of the following formats: SQL, CSV, JSON, XML. This data is analyzed by our team before scheduling the migration.
Initiating Data Migration
The primary contact of the Zoho Desk account who has administrative privileges can initiate data migration by providing the following information:
This includes the name of the help desk software from which the data needs to be migrated. The email address and password used to access the service from which the data needs to be migrated. Additionally, the service URL that is the company's access URL must be included. For example, www.portalname.freshdesk.com.
Uploading data file
The export file that contains the data which needs to be migrated must be uploaded. The exported files must be zipped as a single file and cannot exceed the size of 2GB. If the file size is more than 2GB, please contact email@example.com
Modules and sub modules that receive data
Data from the existing help desk account will be migrated to the following modules in Zoho Desk:
- Ticket Comments
- Knowledge Base Root Categories
- Knowledge Base Sections
You can select which modules the data must be migrated to.
Any instruction that the team must follow while migrating the data can be included in this section.
The Zoho Desk portal to which the data should be migrated should be selected. This is applicable only if the primary contact is part of multiple portals.
Acknowledging migration request
Once the above steps are completed, the primary contact is sent an email with the migration details as provided during the initiation of migration. The migration is carried out by Zoho Desk team after analyzing the submitted data.
The estimated time for completing the migration is provided based on the existing migration queue and amount of data to be imported. The primary contact is intimated regarding the same by the support team.
To initiate data migration
- Click the Setup icon () in the top bar.
- Go to Data Administration > Zwitch > New Migration.
- On the New Migration page, do the following:
- Select a service from which the data is to be migrated from the drop-down list.
- Enter the Service URL. For example, www.portalname.freshdesk.com.
- Enter the Email address and Password.
- In the Import Data From field, upload the data file that needs to be migrated.
- Under Modules that will receive the data field, select the modules.
- Click Submit and Authenticate.
You will be redirected to the Zwitch Migration authentication page.
- Select one of the Desk's portals to which the data will be imported.
- Click Submit.
- In the Zwitch Migration page, click Accept.
- The Primary Contact may reject the migration and re-initiate later, by clicking Reject.
Note: Data migration request can be cancelled any time during the Submitted status. Once it is in progress, you cannot cancel the request.
To re-initiate data migration
- Click the Setup icon () in the top bar.
- Under Data Administration, click Zwitch.
- In the Zwitch request history page, go to the record that says "Waiting for Authentication".
- Click Submit & Authenticate.
Viewing Migration History
Migration history is an audit log that stores and displays the migration details in chronological order. It displays the zipped file names along with their current status of migration. The following status will be displayed:
- Waiting for Authentication
If the primary contact submits the data for migration without completing the authentication, the record will be displayed here.
Data files that have been successfully submitted for migration will be displayed here.
- In progress - Data files that are currently undergoing migration will be displayed here.
- Completed - Once the migration is successfully completed it will be displayed here.