While using the Custom Domain feature in WorkDrive, you may experience an instance where user actions like upload, download, or preview may not work, with other functions working properly.
Since domains are different for Custom domain enabled orgs, the actions mentioned above will not work if third-party cookies are blocked. There are no other alternatives, and it is not a bug on our end. It is a known limitation and browser behavior. You will face this issue for services that support custom domain and using different domains within the product.
To solve this problem, we suggest you follow the below steps:
Step 1: Provide access to your custom domain using your Zoho Account
When the team members log in to their WorkDrive account for the first time via the newly configured custom URL, this page will appear.
Click the Trust this website checkbox, then click GRANT ACCESS to access the WorkDrive account through the custom domain. This one-time action will help you experience smooth and consistent WorkDrive account usage in further sessions.
Step 2: Enable third-party cookies to your custom domain
We will explain this part with some of the popular browsers' settings for your reference.
1. Google Chrome Browser
Follow these steps if you are using the Google Chrome browser:
- Open a Google Chrome browser.
- In the upper-right corner of your browser, click on the three vertical dots and select Settings.
- On the left side of the Settings tab, select Privacy and Security, then Site Settings.
- On the Site Settings page, scroll down to the Content section and select Cookies and site data.
- In the Add a site text box, enter your custom domain (for example 'documents.zylker.com'), check the Including third-party cookies on this site checkbox, and click Add.
2. Mozilla Firefox Browser
Follow these steps if you are using the Firefox browser:
- Open a Mozilla Firefox browser.
- In the upper-right corner of your browser, click on the three vertical dots and select Preferences.
- On the left side of the Settings tab, select Privacy and Security.
- Choose the Custom option and uncheck the Cookies checkbox.
- Click on Reload All Tabs.
3. Safari Browser
Follow these steps if you are using the Safari browser:
- Open a Safari browser.
- Click the Safari menu from the top toolbar.
- Choose Preferences.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Uncheck: Block all Cookies and Prevent cross-site tracking checkboxes.
4. Microsoft Edge Browser
Follow these steps if you are using the Microsoft Edge browser:
- In the top-right corner, select the ellipses ...,then select Settings.
- On the left section of the Settings page, select Cookies and site permissions and click Manage and delete cookies and site data.
- On the Cookies and site data page, scroll down to the Allow section, check the Including third-party cookies on this site checkbox, and click Add button.
- Enter your custom domain and click Add.
1. Why is it necessary to enable third-party cookies?
Say you are accessing a domain named documents.zylker.com, and within this page, another API call is triggered with the domain upload.zoho.com to upload a file. The browser will treat upload.zoho.com as a third-party domain, as it does not belong to *.zylker.com.
2. What is the purpose of upload.zoho.com in WorkDrive?
For a faster and enhanced upload experience, we are using different domains based on the requirement. For upload, we are using upload.zoho.com.
3. How do custom domains work?
When you access the custom domain documents.zylker.com, we will add the necessary details in the cookies in both documents.zylker.com & *.zoho.com domain.
All major browsers block third-party cookies by default in their latest versions. Once it is enabled, cookies will not be added when we access upload.zoho.com within documents.zylker.com. Our server will throw an unauthorized error, because user cookies were not added in the request.
5. Why is the issue only reproduced in the custom domain?
Without a custom domain, the WorkDrive product will load in workdrive.zoho.com, and upload requests will be triggered in upload.zoho.com. Both domains belong to *.zoho.com. Browser settings will not block cookies. That's why upload is working in workdrive.zoho.com
If you are not able to solve the issue, even after following the above-mentioned steps, feel free to contact our support team for clarification.