Zoho Projects allows you to break your existing tasks into subtasks. By creating subtasks, you can organize your work. With
subtasks, you can track the progress of the task and get it done on
time. Alike tasks, you can set the priority, duration, % completed,
assignee, start date and end date for subtasks.
Benefits of Subtasks
- Break complex tasks into manageable chunks of work.
- Drag and drop to reorder subtasks quickly
- Change parent tasks to subtasks and vice-versa easily
- Roll-up feature allows start and end dates, work hours and logs hours of subtasks to roll-up to the parent tasks, milestones and projects.
Subtask feature is available in our paid plans.
Import subtasks from MS projects
Import subtasks along with your existing tasks, while you import your MS project files into Zoho Projects .
- Select the required project in click the Tasks module.
- Click in the upper-right corner and select Import Task.
- Select the File Type and choose a file that you want to upload.
- Click Import to import the file to your project.
- Map the columns in the MPP file with the list of fields available in the tasks module. To import subtasks Parent Task ID and Parent Task Name should be mapped to the corresponding entries in the .mpp file.
- Select if you want to keep the tasks unassigned or mapped to project userss.
- Click Continue to import the tasks into Zoho Projects.
- Select the Tasks module, click the task for which you want to add the subtask.
- Click Subtasks in the task details page and then click Add Subtask.
- Enter the name of the subtask and click Enter to add the subtask.
can also drag and drop tasks to create subtasks. And, the dragged task
is now added as a subtask beneath the task it is dropped.
Few points to remember when you create subtasks in Zoho Projects:
- Closed tasks cannot be indented.
- Subtasks cannot be created for closed tasks.
- Few tasks other than the applied criteria may also be displayed, so as not to break the hierarchy.
- Closing a parent task will close all its subtasks.
- To reopen a subtask, the parent task needs to be reopened.
You can reorder subtasks from the task Classic View.
Drag and drop a subtask within the same parent task to reorder it. Drag
and drop the subtask on another task to change its parent task.
Make a Subtask into a Task
Drag and drop a subtask outside its parent task in the Classic view. The subtask is converted to a parent task.
Subtasks can be collapsed with a single click.
- Select a project and navigate to the Tasks module.
- Click on customize columns icon ().
- Click the View tab and then toggle the Collapse Subtasks option. Subtasks will collapse across the portal.
- Toggle the switch again to expand the subtasks across the portal.
Subtasks can also be collapsed from the Kanban task list view. Toggling this option will collapse subtasks in Classic view of tasks and Kanban task list view across all projects.
Subtasks in Dependency
can view subtasks now as part of your task dependency view. You can view the subtasks nnly if all
the parent tasks are displayed.
Subtasks in Gantt
- Click the required task to view the task details page. Click Add Subtask button under Subtasks tab to create a new subtask.
- Or, hover over a subtask and click + add a new subtask.
- Hover over a subtask, click and drag and drop to reorder the subtask.
Subtasks in Templates
You can create a new task template and add tasks along with subtasks and save this template for your future projects. Learn more about adding subtasks in task templates.