We are deprecating the use of Authtokens and the same has been intimated in the Authtoken deprecation announcement
. Further to the notification, we had also mentioned about the impact
it has on the existing webhooks and migrating to OAuth authorization for continued communication with Zoho Applications.
Owing to this deprecation, we are now offering OAuth authorization type and a few other updates in Webhooks.
Webhooks are a low-code solution to transmit information from one application to another via a HTTPS protocol, to provide a seamless operational experience in any business. To authorize communication between applications, you can append webhooks with different authorization types like Authtokens, API keys, etc.
In this enhancement we are providing:
- Additional Request Methods- PUT and DELETE.
- New categories to choose the authorization type - General and Connection.
- A categorization in URL parameter configuration - Header configuration and Body Configuration.
- The feasibility to choose the input type in Body URL configuration - Form-Data and Raw Data.
Let's look at them in detail!
Additional Request Methods
So far we provided two types of request methods: GET and POST. We are now introducing PUT and DELETE methods as well. While GET and POST methods allow you to receive and send information between applications, PUT and DELETE methods allow you to update and delete the existing information respectively.
Introduction of Authorization Type
Up till now, authorizations like Authtokens was manually added to the webhooks and admins used to append it to the URL parameters optionally. While Authtoken is static and less secure, OAuth is dynamic and highly secure. Therefore, in our previous post we had recommended migration to OAuth authorization.
In this update, we are introducing OAuth as a new means of authorization along with the existing types such as API and Authtokens. We have categorized the authorization into 2 types:
- General - allows you to set up basic or API authorization types like API Keys, AuthToken, etc..You can also skip configuring the authorization in the webhooks.
- Connection - allows you to select the dynamic OAuth authorization from existing connections in Zoho CRM or set up a new connection.
Please note, establishing correspondence with other Zoho applications using webhooks, henceforth requires OAuth authorization. Refer to our help doc
to understand how to work with connection.
The aforementioned deprecation of authtoken is scheduled to be deprecated soon. To avoid webhook breakage, users can migrate the existing Authtoken to OAuth before the deprecation. Follow this post
for further intimation about deprecation.
To migrate your existing webhooks with Authtoken to OAuth,
- Navigate to the Set up > Automations > Actions > Webhooks.
- Click on the webhook that needs to be migrated.
- Click Edit in the top-right corner.
- Select Connection as the Authorization Type.
- Choose the connection created for your Zoho app.
- If you have not created a connection yet, click New Connection and select your Zoho service.
- Enter the connection details and click Save.
- On the Webhooks page, click the Refresh icon to see the new connection in the list, and select it
- Click Save.
Categorization of Header and Body URL Parameters
To suit the industry standards, Webhooks that are sent from Zoho CRM now have a Header and Body structure.
You can configure the dynamic module parameters or manually feed the static custom parameters like API Key or Authtoken, etc..in the header section of the webhooks.
To configure the body parameters of the Webhooks, select the input type from the drop-down list,
- None - It allows you to skip the body part configuration.
- Form-data -It allows you to append information as Module Parameters, Custom parameters, or User-defined format
- Raw - It allows you to type the webhook string in the subsequent text editor manually. The supported Input format includes Text, HTML, JSON, and XML.
That's about the webhooks update.
If you have configured webhooks in your organization, you would have received an email about the deprecation and migration.
Kindly refer to our help doc
to understand more about webhooks.