Zoho Forms offers a variety of tracking techniques. This walkthrough will help you choose the right tracking technique based on your requirement.
Basic Parameter Tracking
If your requirement is to only track basic parameters of the form like referrer name, refer to this section.
You can track custom referrals as well, by adding a tracking parameter at the end of your Form Permalink (URL) before embedding the code in your webpage.
Referrals are tracked by default and will be set as the website's domain, the website URL, or even be set as empty according to your website's referrer policy.
The referrer name set by default will be set according to the value of the document.referrer which in turn, is controlled by the referral policy on your website.
UTM Tracking helps you identify the source from which your respondents visited your website and submitted an entry through an embedded Zoho Form.
Zoho Forms provides two options to track website visitors:
Using the basic tracking code generated, you can track the the default UTM parameters and the custom parameters that are passed in the website URL. The default parameters that will be tracked when you set UTM tracking in your form are:
The advanced tracking code generated will capture the source using:
-UTM parameters available in the website URL (both default and custom params)
-Traffic from Google Ads using the gclid parameter in the URL
You can also auto-track traffic from different search engines. When custom parameter 'referrername' is set, the website URL will be taken as referrer.
Advanced Tracking with Google
If you want to track conversions, events, or push the UTM parameters received to Google Analytics, refer to this section.
Comprises of only basic destination tracking - goal conversion when the form is submitted.
- UTM parameters can be captured and be passed to Google Analytics.
- Traffic source information, such as, Paid Searches, Organic Search, Direct can be captured
- Only one Goal conversion is possible upon redirection to thank you page
- Only one Goal conversion is possible within the same session
- Same session cannot be maintained with the website it is embedded to, even if the form is in the same domain as the website,
Using Google Tag Manager, we can track events in Google Analytics when the respondents view the form, click the form fields, review, save, and submit the form.
- UTM parameters can be captured and passed to Google Analytics. (Refer to the FAQs for more details)
- Any parameter in the URL can be captured and passed to Google Analytics.
- Traffic source information, such as, Paid Searches, Organic Search, Direct can be captured in Google Analytics.
- Any GTM supported event (Eg: Page view, custom events) can be marked as goal.
- Same session can be maintained with the website it is embedded to, if the website and form are in the same domain.
Data can be pushed from Google Tag Manager to only Universal Analytics and Google Analytics as of today.
Advanced Tracking with Facebook
If you want to track conversions or push the UTM parameters received to Facebook, refer to this section.
- Comprises of basic destination tracking - goal conversion when the form is submitted.
- UTM parameters can be passed to Facebook Pixel.